THe Movies

March 4, 2010

Welles Interview

Filed under: Uncategorized —Tagged , — rhodine @ 12:03 pm

Interview with Orson Welles

I found this interview to be very insightful; into he’s film making process. I love how excited he is about the whole film making process as well. He was very into he’s work and had to micro manage everything.
The best part of the interview had to be when he started speaking about camera placement. The idea that you just know where to place the camera seemed weird to me but then started to make sense. He gave the example a singer knowing what note to hit, this made a lot of sense. I just disagreed with the whole fact that if you didn’t already know where the camera should be placed you were just shopping around. I feel like if you already know what you want the shot to look like that’s even better but at the end it’s just two different ways of doing things.
I also liked that he realized the importance of the DP. It seems at this time it was unheard of. The DP does do a lot of work and is second to the director and even in today’s film world it is refreshing to see that he’s ego did not get in the way. Overall the most shocking to me is how this great movie had no real planning. It was all done on a whim and experimentation.

One Response to “Welles Interview”

1.   Amy Herzog Says:

Sorry we missed the screening in class, but we’ll talk more not only about Welles’s unusual relationship with Toland, but also some of the reasons why he might be particularly careful in this later interview to give credit to his other collaborators…