THe Movies

March 11, 2010

Double Indemnity

Filed under: Uncategorized —Tagged , , — rhodine @ 3:30 pm

Double Indemnity

This movie was a great example of women in the film noir genre. In the movie we see how a woman is getting over on several men, in the end though no one really prevails. As I watched the movie I was trying to look for the trademark film noir. The ones that were obvious to me were: shadows, impending doom, and dangerous characters.

I think that Janey Place’s article on women in film noir is true and we still see this type of woman in movies today. The way woman are portrayed in these movies makes sense with the timing. It was the end of the war and the men had to deal with all these emotions. Women had taken there jobs, they had seen friends murder, they were committing murder and society sort of abandoned them. The feel that I got from the movie was that the man was struggling between was right and what he thought was in he’s heart. The woman had to bring him to her side. The movie also had the same classic ending where everything had to end right. The woman died which meant that she couldn’t trick anyone and the man figured out he’s path he didn’t die but he would still have to do time for he’s mistakes. The other characters stayed true to their gender roles. The widow’s daughter was sweet and innocent and ended up with a husband at the end, and the boss was this righteous man that took charge.

The whole genre just seems to be this psychological warfare between women getting their empowerment but not in a good way since they are depicted in bad ways, and the men struggling between what’s right and wrong.

3 Responses to “Double Indemnity”

1.   jennylee Says:

i agree, the two leads in the film were the only characters to have their traditional gender roles reversed. if you juxtapose the relationship that the daughter has with her boyfriend (where the guy has the power) with stanwyck’s character and her relationship with the salesman (where the woman has the power)–the stark traditional gender role reversal can clearly be seen.

2.   jiasili Says:

Well the relation between the daughter and the boyfriend pretty much told us that is the society they live in, so I have no common on that.

3.   nicoleb Says:

I LOVED this movie. I felt that everything about it was pretty much amazing. I love seeing the gender roles switched up like you guys have pointed out. I agree with you that the movie ended just right. I can’t see it ending any other way. I’m glad they killed off Barbara and made Neff get caught though because if any other variation of an ending happened, there is no way that this movie would have nearly been as good.